Monday 14 May 2018

Carlton Marshes Garganey proves they do exist!

On Carlton Marshes on Sunday 13th May I heard of yet another Garganey, this time for the first time in 2 years and 12 attempts it was finally a successful twitch as the male Garganey bird could clearly seen at the northern end of the scrape. They are such an elusive duck it was really gratifying to see it considering my recent problems in seeing this species missing several times at Southward and Minsmere recently. I missed the short flight of the American Bittern again, only a 5 second flight, but this time it was flying away from Share Marsh, with no directions I was looking in the wrong direction! I went round the cars side and saw a male Stonechat, 2 Swifts screaming overhead and a Water Vole which showed quite well as it sat on a branch suspended just on the water, although obscured by vegetation. Its presence given away by 2 plops heard in the water! Walking back to the car by the railwaymen, I heard and eventually saw a singing Lesser Whitethroat from a bush and heard a Whitethroat.

No comments: