Sunday 29 April 2018

Confiding Wheatears at Lowestoft Net posts

On Sunday 29th April, I thought it was going to be another dismal walk around the patch with little reward, 2 Linnets seen at Corton OSW, where a brisk north- easterly wind blew. At the OSW compound where a ditch has been dug out bordering the western side and around 30% of the scrub and dead trees taken away. A crying shame as this area was used to hold photogenic Flycatchers and Redstarts from time to time. The ditch was already littered wdetritus and rubbish. A cold north- easterly wind meant my visit for Sand martins would prove fruitless. A look around the Oval, even more wall has gone and the "temporary fence" has now been up for over 2 years, 2 Stock Dove seen near the wall before being inevitably disturbed by dog walkers. A look around the net posts initially revealed nothing except more travellers encamped on the parking area. Ness Point the area by the gas compound looks just like a breakers yard and cans strewn all over the Turbine yard, welcome to the sunrise coast and the photogenic Ness Point, I think not! I bumped into Paul & Jane and there had just seen 2 Wheatears I looked again and walked around the northern posts, the male Wheatear popped up from a rabbit hole and was just 3 feet away from me. I retrieved my camera and by the northern edge, by a rusty bit of metal the male and female Wheatear perched up, the female soon flew off but the male Wheatear was particularly confiding and I left him in situ. At Riverside no Wheatears seen as I didn't want to disturb the 5 birds.

No comments: