Sunday 18 September 2016

Little on patch

Woke up with a thumping headache, but eventually out in the field by mid afternoon, I checked the patch for yesterday's migrants but they'd all gone save for 1 Wheatear seen at the net posts. It was using the posts to hunt for food, making frequent forays to fly down and catch and devour some unfortunate insect. At Ness Point, I could see a Guillemot on the water close by between the 1st and 2nd groins immediately north of Ness Point. I walked along the wall and managed to get some shots, as it swam steadily north. It was always within a metre or two of the end of the wreck of the old sea wall, now completely uncovered exposed at this very low ebbtide. Ringing Andrew E, he joined me and spotted 10 Brent Geese flying north in a linear line, low over the sea. At 6.40pm, receiving Rob's tweet, I jumped into the car and parked at nearby Baker's score (the scene of so many a frustrating autumnal seawatch, where often I never see anything; but this all changes in winter, where I usually do much better with the passing seabirds!) I walked down the hedgerow running south of the Corton allotments and clearly heard the sharp "tseoopp" call of the Yellow- browed Warbler from within the vicinity of the Vicarage garden, alas no further sign of it, on further investigation though.

No comments: