Thursday 16 June 2016

Fen Orchids

This evening, on Thursday 16th June, I visited a Broadland location in Norfolk, 7 Fen Orchids were seen in the usual place with a further 3 Fen Orchids seen along a well worn path north of the usual place. As I walked over the well worn path, it felt as if I was stepping onto a moving carpet of vegetation with water on underneath. A very unusual sensation and it felt like the great Grimpen Mire as described in Arthur Conan Doyle's "Hound of the Baskervilles" Not wanting the same fate as the baddie (no spoiler alert!) of that work, I moved swiftly on!! As I walked back, I noticed a Norfolk Hawker fly over the reeds to the left of the path. A few 8 Southern Marsh Orchids seen at the main Fen O site but very few seen by the path which was a little surprising.

No comments: