Friday 10 April 2015

Catch up on news

Over the last few weeks since 29th March I have heard the calling Chiff- Chaff over at Fallowfields everyday since. I had missed the RN Duck X 2 (not counting the abortive trip to Hardley Flood) having finally located the Pits at Hardley Staithe they weren't seen. Ducks were seen included 8 Pochard & c20 Tufted Ducks with a male Reed Bunting and 2 Barn Owls seen on 2 visits. A trip to Cochester on Monday 30th March to pick up my newly repaired lens, I stopped off at Covehithe Church and finally saw the escaped Black Kite flying around in a copse east of the Church. later I went back and it flew right over my head by the Church. Investigating a lane nearby, I had superb views as it flew over my head barely 10 feet above me. Along this lane, I saw it perched on a telegraph post and in a tree. It was good to see Ali R. One particular field was a favourite and it spent a lot of time flying around here. It did have a ring on one of its legs. On Saturday 4th April, following tweet from James B, I saw an Avocet on the Scrape, my first for Lowestoft. Still later, Monday 6th April, I visited Minsmere in the hope of catching up with the Tundra Beans, no such luck and I missed the Jack Snipes at North Hide even the Ferguson lucky charm failed to reveal either the Tundra Beans or Stone Curlew nearby, however a slight upturn in fortunes late afternoon did reveal a Swallow flying over the Island Mere and it was later joined by 2 Sand Martins. A Bittern walked out from the reeds briefly over the further patch of reeds along the near marsh on the right. Wednesday 8th April evening the sunshine turned to thick Fog/ smog so I changed my visit from Carlton Marshes to Leathes Ham and was rewarded in seeing 4 pairs of Pintail and 3 pairs of Wigeon but no sign of any spring migrants.

No comments: