Saturday 28 March 2015

The Great Grimpen Mire at Carlton Marshes

A grey and quite windy day at Carlton Marshes this morning, it was great to see Rob Wil and we caught up and he updated me on the LRP that was still there. I trekked down to the Scrape. An initial look and I was delighted t see first one and later 2 winter- plumaged elegant Spotted Redshanks striding around the middle area of water. Having almost disappeared into the quagmire on the path by the orange plastic fencing where you can view the scrape. I stepped on some straw and my wellington boot almost disappeared down into the ground. I managed to extract a whole foot length of Wellington boot out of the "Great Grimpen Mire" and was delighted to catch up with both Roy and Ruth H who had failed to see the LRP. Another scan and I immediately saw the fine Little Ringed Plover walking left followed by a summer plumaged Sanderling. Both birds disappeared behind a big tuft of grass and past an adult Herring Gull. Later after Roy & ruth had left, a Green Sandpiper was seen walking right over the Scrape. Finally, a female Marsh harrier flew over the west section of the Scrape. I had to leave as the sky was looking darker and the wind was increasing, rain imminent? Delighted to say at 12.45pm this afternoon, Jenny called me there were 3 lots of Frogspawn in the fishpond in the garden this afternoon. I will transfer to the wildlife pond once the Tadpoles start wriggling in the spawn to ensure the fish don't eat them. We always get frogspawn in the fishpond being smaller than the Wildlife pond the water may be a degree or so warmer? A Frog was seen in the wildlife pond.

No comments: