Sunday 12 January 2014

Parrot Crossbill at Fritton success!

I attended a special memorial service celebrating 200 years (+ 1 day!) since the birth of James Paget and I visited Fritton at 2.30pm. No sooner had I walked to Forest Lodge when a flock of 20+ Crossbill, bang on cue, flew into to the tops of the trees. I noticed a slightly larger bull- headed individual generally green plumage with some grey around the face and nape, and big bill an excellent female Parrot Crossbill flew in by the pines by Forest Lodge. The female Parrot Crossbill opened her big bill and pulled a pine cone off the tree and held in her mouth for much of the period of observation. I watched her for several minutes amongst the Croosbills where I must have checked around 12 of the 20+ that flew in. They flew south towards the clearing and later flew back to the Pines and then flew west back to the Pines and then 12 flew back towards the main car park area.The flock flew around a bit. From the mound overlooking Haddiscoe marshes, a fine distant Short- eared Owl patrolled the fields. 2 female Marsh Harrier seen plus a Buzzard sp. flying towards us it crossed the river and over Waveney Forest finally revealed itself as an excellent Rough- legged Buzzard, with white tail black band, pale head and dark lower belly. Around 3 Chinese Water Deer seen and a flock of 400+ Pink- footed Geese flew north. Finally, a superb Bittern flew south and left down the river before pitching back into the reeds. Despite staying until dusk no Woodcock or Barn Owl were seen however. But I was very pleased with my Fritton visit today, adding another special to my Lizard/ Lowestoft area list!

No comments: