Sunday 1 September 2013

Convolvous Hawk Moth: Impressive beast!

I was delighted to get a phone call from one of my friends this evening (Sunday 1st September), stating they had a Convolvous Hawk Moth in the garden this evening. It had been passed third hand onto them from a neighbour over the road! Whilst driving over to see them I witnessed a brown female Sparrowhawk perched on top of a Wood Pigeon in the gutter on the left hand side of the busy A12 road almost directly opposite the Foxborrow pub! Arriving later at the garden they showed me to their greenhouse where it had been expertly put on a dead piece of log and I was able to obtain a few pictures of this marvellous beast. A subtle mixture of greys and a really impressive moth, along with Privet & Death's Head one of the largest moths we get in Britain. Albeit, this a rare migrant from Africa, rarely seen here. However, this is the 5th Convolvous Hawk Moth I have seen having first seen one at Gunton off the North Parade (very top of the North Denes slope many moons ago, with a further 3 on Scilly over the years and one in Peter C's garden at Winterton, always a treat to see, these grey beasts!) As I finished my photography, I looked up and saw a Cuckoo fly past heading east, it was a dark shape but almost definately another immature Cuckoo, which like buses you wait ages for one then 2 come along almost at once (or was it the same North Denes bird? could be!) A big thank you to my friends for the phone call and warm hospitality this evening.

No comments: