Sunday 4 August 2013

Saturday at North Beach

Returning in the morning I initially looked at the rocky area just north of Birds Eye and was disappointed to see the sea was right up to the wall, full tide, so no chance of photo'ing the summer plumaged Knot, indeed I couldn't see it. Seeing Josh on his bike he said he'd seen the bird right out on the point. So returning to Ness Point the summer plumaged Knot was feeding on the very end of the finger in the company of a Dunlin. The excellent immature Black tern was seen flying over the water and indeed did perch on the groynes again, affording further pics once Ali R were happy for me to approach closer. In the afternoon, I spotted my first sighting of a Migrant Hawker dragonfly that was flying around the garden, when she alighted briefly on a bush, I could see it was a feamle. An evening visit parking my car near the tamarisk bushes by the factory, I was forced to hastily retreat back to my car and park it near employees cars at the far northern end of the Birds Eye, when 5 youths mainly 2 boys trying to "impress some girls present", pulled off the Yellow triangular sign with red writing "telephone cable on it"off its post and throwing it down the concrete western slope by the seawall. They were also throwing stone everywhere. So with great trpidation I walked down to the sea defence rcks where it was fairly obvious Dick & OFB were photographing something, almost ceratinly the Red Knot. It, the gorgeous Knot was in full summer plumage and showung very well as it fed amongst the tide, it was together with its friend, the Dunlin that it had been with before at the Point. In the evening my first Silver Y moth of the year was seen flying around the Buddlea plant.

No comments: