Monday 5 November 2012

Waxwings!

After a weekend fruitlessly trying to twitch Waxwings firstly at Thurston street, Lowestoft (Saturday) and then Pasteur road retail park, Great Yarmouth by Perenco (Sunday) without any luck. I had to return some equipment to Great Yarmouth Library on Monday 5th November and at lunchtime, having to fill up with fuel, I had briefly called in at Asda to fill up. Passing the new Breydon bridge on the way back at around 11.30am, travelling along the Yarmouth bypass road, just 50 metres from the Gapton Hall retail park roundabout, I noted 5 excellent Waxwings perched on the tree on the east side of the road, driving around the roundabout and pulling into the layby by Gapton Hall retail park, I parked the car just before Black Gate farm and decided to take my lunchbreak. The 5 Waxwings were still perched in the tree and I was able view them from a gap in the bushes. However, they soon flew off and when I drove back, seeing Keith D, I returned to the layby, where Keith D had walked there before me, when I heard the distinctive trilling call of a Waxwing. I looked west across the fence and there were now 6 Waxwings perched on a bush on the "farm area" behind metal fences. Two of their number then east flew over our heads and perched on some berry bushes right in front of us (but the light was very poor here) before a lorry driving past flushed them back to their bush. Another 3 Waxwings, that Keith spotted flew overhead and directly west again right over our heads, so 9 Waxwings seen in total, today.

No comments: