Monday 22 October 2012

Schizophrenic Grebe!

Sunday 21st October didn't start to well, a bit like my car which had a flat battery. Early on I visited Oulton Broad, around the Wherry hotel where the Slavonian Grebe showed very well just down from the Wherry car park showing down to 2 feet on several occasions! Unfortunately the sky was dark and it was starting to rain steadily! It dived regularly frequently catching several small fish. Having a look at the bird, it seemed obvious to me, whichever side I looked at it that it was a Slavonian Grebe, although I have heard when it had been first found, it had been initially tricky to ID because initially it had been mistaken for a Black- necked Grebe. Later on during the day, I visited a rain soaked Corton and pounding the MOD stubble field, together with 3 other birders we eventually saw a calling single Lapland Bunting fly up in the company of several Sky Larks. A Snipe was also seen in flight. Around 60 Sky Larks seen in total, Brambling also heard here too. Travelling back along the A12 by Barn owl Lodge, a dead Fieldfare was seen at the side of the road, too.

No comments: