Friday 29 April 2011

Woodchat saves the Spring?

Not one for staying in watching the Royal Wedding, although I am grateful for the additional piad day off work, I was out around the North Denes this morning, the Iceland Gull is still about and perched on the groynes just off the end of Link's Road. The Oval had the usual Wood Pigeon's plus a Stock Dove the in the north- west corner. Sneaking round the walled perimeter, 2 Wood Pigeons flew up and flushed the Stock Dove off before I could photograph it. A male Wheatear seen on the mown area of grass just east of the Sparrow's Nest car park.
A Suffolk BINS message confirming that a Woodchat Shrike was seen along the end of Butt's Lane at 11.45am this morning between Spexhill and Westall (between Beccles and Halesworth)
I drove there navigating through a whole swathe of minor roads via Ellough and Weston and Riseborough, reaching Butt Lane I drove the length of it and at the end where it became a "T" junction a load of cars confirmed where the bird was. Parking and walking to the end I saw OFB, Richard W, Roy, Ali R, Dick W and I was soon enjoying my first scarce bird for sometime a wonderful adult Woodchat Shrike perched on telegraph wires perched near the pole. It flew down several times to the ground and was successful in catching prey at least once. 
Driving back, 2 Swallows were seen on wires and up to 5 scolding Lesser Whitethroats heard.

No comments: