Saturday 8 January 2011

At last 2011 Lowestoft Waxwings and Wild swans!

Having spent much of this year looking for my own Waxwings in Lowestoft, I finally managed to see some along Beccles Road/ Hollow Grove Way at Carlton Colville this afternoon as first 39 flew in briefly feeding on the berries before flying south-west and perching on a distant tree. Seeing Dick W, we then saw a further 22 Waxwing fly in and again eventually feed from the berries from the nearest tree. 61 Waxwing were seen in total. No pictures, I'm afraid as the light was so poor!
After missing seeing the wild swans last week, due to a tyre puncture I was keen to see them today.
So, just past Blythburgh parking in the first layby on the left along the A12, looking through the hawthorn hedge, I could see firstly 3 Whooper Swan amongst some 72 Bewick's Swans. As the layby was quite close to the birds, I stayed in the car to avoid flushing them and fired off a few shots. The Swans were settled and were feeding and even walking in my direction at one point.
A murmuration of some 3,000 Starlings seen flying in 3 separate flocks over the Lowestoft harbour area at around 3.30pm.

No comments: