Saturday 11 December 2010

Iceland at Ness Point & Island Mere Goodies


Last Thursday a House Sparrow was feeding from the fat ball feeders in the garden.
Today, I ventured out to Ness Point and was delighted to find the 1st winter Iceland Gull standing on the post at the end of the "finger." The Iceland Gull regular took flying sorties and even once caught a Spratt once or twice from the sea and seemed to have difficulty eating it at first. The bird would always return to its regular perch before it eventually flew onto the sea drifted south a little and then flew over our heads and inland.
An adult Mediterranean Gull was also seen flying around too. It was nice to see Andrew E, Perry F oh, and we saw Chris D too.
At Minsmere I bought the 2009 Suffolk Bird report and was delighted to find two of my shots published, including the Black- throated Diver catching a fish on Oulton Broad in February 2009 and the Ortolan Bunting at Corton in September 2009. 
I was however, somewhat perplexed to see my name against the Golden Eagle record (I'd love to see one in Suffolk!) because I wasn't there and I didn't see it.
A look around the pond and the North beaches failed to reveal any hoped for waxwings, although several redwings seen including 2 perched in a bush, a fine male Bullfinch (a British one and sadly not a Northern) just eluded the camera lens as it perched up briefly on a bush by the path to the north hide.
I spent some time in the Island Mere hide having first spied 3 Redpolls on top of the alder trees and heard a few "bugles" sure enough on the partially icy Mere were 28 fine Bewick's Swans. A redhead Smew swam out briefly from the right hand end and the intense glare of the sun. Whilst a Snipe was seen on the cut reed area.
Up to 3 female Marsh Harriers quartered the reeds including one coming close to the left hand end of the hide (I, of course was on the extreme right hand end). Walking back, peering through the alders I saw the excellent ringtail Hen Harrier flying over the reeds near the alders and walking back to the hide I witnessed 7 Bewick's Swans flying over. Very graceful and elegant!

No comments: