Wednesday 20 October 2010

Winterton Pallas'


On Tuesday 19th October, a morning working at Martham Library meant I was able to take a half hour lunch break down the southern valley on Winterton Dunes. especial thanks to Peter C (for letting me know the bird was still there) and Tim H (for calling the bird in).
Walking down at around 1pm. seeing a Robin and a female Reed Bunting raised hopes.
A small crowd including Ricky F and Dave J was waiting expectantly in front of the small copse along the seaward side of Hermaness camp along the restaurant area. 
Birds flitting around included 2 Chiff- Chaffs and high above a berry ladden Hawthorn bush in some Sycamores, I picked out the fabulous Pallas' Warbler.
I shouted out Pallas' warbler to alert the other observers and they soon joined me in watching this eastern stunner.
This eastern gem was a real jewel of a bird but to me seemed quite a worn individual (an adult?) albeit with thick yellow supercilia, 2 wingbars, yellow rump and silky white underparts. It flew around and was also soon hovering hunting for flies. After a few minutes it flew back deeper into the foliage and it was my time to go (time 1.30pm)

No comments: