Sunday 24 October 2010

Bluetail Joy! (at last)





During an early morning visit (8.40am) I met some people along Arnold's walk by the top path today who said it had been showing well but they hadn't seen it for 20 minutes.
It wasn't until about 11am when OFB kindly gave me call to say he had just heard the Bluetail call. I had briefly ventured down half way along the path to look in the very top of the sycamores having heard the rasping call of a Brambling, initially all I could see were Chaffinches but then I saw the welcome sight of a pale orange breast of a Brambling right neat the middle top of a Sycamore, but it then flew left.
I joined OFB at the usual spot by the top path looking in an area of dead Alexander plants.
walking away a few yards I heard the distinctive trill of a Waxwing flying over but I could not see the bird. Back at the dead Alexander area, the fine Red- flanked Bluetail hopped up on an Alexander stem I was able to obtain a few shots, albeit in very poor light using ISO 3400 on the lowest aperture I could use of F6.3 not brilliant!  It then spent time along the ground, often obscured by vegetation in the foreground before it perched up again albeit partially obscured.
I had to leave at 12 noon to take jenny to an Apple Day celebration at Gressenhall Workhouse Museum.
Driving along the Acle straight we saw 16 Pink- footed Geese flying north- east.

No comments: