Monday 27 September 2010

Fall of migrants

The weekend's strong north/ north-west winds and incessant rain meant that I decided to do a brief seawatch before work from Baker's Score at Corton. In a 20 minute seawatch I saw 7 Gannets flying south (2 adults and 5 sub- adults), 2 Divers seen on the sea one indeterminate (too far out to conclusively say) and 1 Red- throated Diver, 2 Mediterranean Gulls (1 adult winter and 1 second winter) flew north and close in and over the cliff and the caravan park.
A Redstart flew away from the caravan park bush.
Leaving work as I drove down Lowestoft road at Gorleston, I saw a Wheatear perched on an advertising hoarding.
After work, I decided to check out Corton where the grassy field between the churchyard and the old sewage works sported up to 30 Song Thrushes on the grass as well as 2 Redwing. Most of the Song thrushes I saw here were a noticably a cold- grey brown appearance, I assume continental birds.  Robins were everywhere, around 30 seen or heard (constantly "takking") in this area alone.
On the North Denes, Gunton Dunes revealed 2  and 3 meadow Pipits as well as 1 Reed Bunting which flew onto a bramble bush and perched briefly as well as a group of 5 Reed Buntings flushed by Rob Wil's dog! They flew up and over Warren House Wood.
With daylight at a premium and the light fading fast, I decided to drive to the top of the Oval.
A good decision, as walking down a calling Pied Flycatcher alighted momentarily on a bare tree before flying off. Looking on the Oval, a Redstart flew south from the NW corner.

No comments: