Sunday 29 August 2010

Wryneck


Yesterday, Saturday 28th August not feeling well (another migraine!) I was limited to watching the back garden late afternoon and a female Whitethroat worked her way down the west hedgerow to the Holly tree.
Today, a male Whitethroat was seen on the bramble over next door's fence.
A BINS message about 2 local Lowestoft Wrynecks (one at Gunton well found by Rob Wil, one at Carlton Marshes excellently found by Chris M) soon had me looking around Gunton Beach dunes where I saw Rob Win, Rob Wil and Andrew E. The Wryneck had been seen briefly by Rob Wil and Andrew E had seen a probable Barred Warbler in a sycamore tree just east of a sycamore tree I had found one in some 15 years ago!
Peering intently in all I saw were several 3 Whitethroats, a fine pair of Blackcaps and several Linnets and Greenfinches. 
More people arrived, including Ricky F, whilst the 2 Robs and Andrew left and after we had thoroughly scoured the area, as I was talking to other birders present, at 12.45pm a distinctive bird got up and flew presumably from the bushes behind (west of us) over the grass and I got my bins on it quickly, it was the excellent Wryneck, it flew down into a great swathe of brambles and out of sight never sadly to be seen again.
The 7 note whistle heralded a Whimbrel flying south over the sea.
Jon E then joined us, and showed us his usual excellent pics. In my opinion, he is one of the top 2 Suffolk photographers and I can only aspire to get the sort of quality shots that he regularly obtains.
An afternoon walk around Corton Old rail track and sewage works revealed few birds due to the very strong westerly winds. All i saw were several Migrant hawkers, Common darters,& Speckled Wood butterfly plus 3 very large Mushrooms/ toadstools by the copse.
Back in the garden, a Red Admiral brave the high winds & I heard the distinctive call of an overflying Whimbrel whilst in the house but could not pick up when I went outside.

No comments: