Monday 16 August 2010

Wales



A trip to Wales to see the family, meant I was able to squeeze in a few birding walks.
Most notably, a walk down to the local Cymisfael stream from Llanddarog village everyday.
The first walk (Friday 13th) I saw a female Blackcap at the bottom of the hill, a Grey Wagtail by the "right" bridge. The second walk (Saturday 14th) a walk along the stream just past the second footbridge I disturbed a bird calling "tzchik" as it flew left along the stream. I suspected it was a dipper and this was confirmed when I saw an immature Dipper perched on a rock at the point where the stream diverts west, where it preened before it eventually flew off down the stream.
A Wall Brown butterfly flew over the hedgerow bordering the road  and settled on a Coke can, posing well for photo's.
Sunday morning I drove to RSPB Dinas on the way at Ciao, a Red Kite flew over. walking down the boardwalk, a Redstart flew into a bush. Several Treecreepers were seen and at the end of the boardwalk a Fox was seen ambling down the hill but soon saw me and scarpered back up the hill. I eventually picking up "mewing" Buzzard that was perched on a rock on a distant hillside. Back along the boardwalk, the Treecreepers were seen again plus an excellent Wood Warbler was seen briefly and a few Siskins moved through the canopy of the trees. Finally along the distant ridge whilst driving away from the reserve I saw 2 Red Kites flying left along the top of the ridge.
The third walk (Sunday 15th afternoon) revealed Grey Wagtail at the "right" bridge. Walking down towards Whitehall bridge, I saw a Hawker dragonfly flying down the road (it wasn't Brown/ Southern Hawker) it was either Common or Migrant but I didn't see enough on it to positively ID it. I did see a fine looking Banded Demoiselle however. The croak of a distant Raven eventually revealed said bird flying left low over the treetops. A Gatekeeper showed well at the hedge side.
Both Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood butterflies showed well in Mum's garden.

No comments: