Saturday 31 July 2010

Farewell to Adrian


Yesterday, I had several rather surreal experiences. Surreal experience no.1; as I was driving north to Martham, I met Adrian B's funeral cortege (I had hoped to attend but I was running an event at Martham Library that afternoon so very sadly I couldn't attend) as it drove along first Southtown road, and then the Haven Bridge at Great Yarmouth I followed at a discreet distance and was able hold the traffic back as was in the other lane as the hearse travelled over the Haven bridge, I was therefore able, rather unexpectedly, to say my final farewells to a great bloke and ace bird finder of the Horsey, Waxham, Winterton & Hickling area. East Norfolk and Great Yarmouth will be a poorer place without Adrian's cheerful company and excellent bird finding skills.
Surreal experience no.2; whilst finishing the event at Martham Library, a female Brown Hawker Dragonfly got into the Library and spent around 10 minutes flying mainly around the lights on the ceiling.
Having switched off all the lights we eventually were able to usher the Dragonfly outside where it flew away to freedom.
Garden news; there has been evidently an invasion of Silver Y moths in the last week, on Thursday night I counted 17 in the garden, around 12 were in the garden last night plus a very, very obliging  Magpie moth that was on Lavender flowers and then flew to the underside of some Bay leaves which I was able to turn right over and hold in one hand whilst holding the camera in the other and take a few pics of it! A Silver Y moth one even flew into the kitchen briefly this afternoon.

No comments: