Tuesday 23 June 2009

Chasing the Dragons!

A very pleasant early evening walk today at Carlton Marshes finally enabled me to take the pictures I wanted of Scarce Chaser dragonflies. The usual male was along the dyke north of the car park, whilst 3 individuals, reasonably showing males perched on vegetation at the side of the dyke running down to Spratt's water. Where have all the females gone, hopefully they are busy oviposting? (egg laying) The Southern Marsh Orchids were flowering here also but not in the numbers of my more local Orchid meadow.
Along the pathway, A Norfolk Hawker was busy hunting "hoovering" up small flies along the path, before it's inquisitiveness got the better of it and it checked me out flying within inches of my face, a marvellous sight! (the Norfolk Hawker at such close range and definitely not my face!) 
A Cuckoo was calling constantly from the direction of Fisher Row, whilst a male Reed Bunting called frequently from a nearby bush.

No comments: