Saturday 23 May 2009

Damsels & Ladies



With bird migration having virtually petered out, attention turned to the garden where 2 Large Red Damselflies were seen around the pond area. Painted Lady butterflies are migrants from the Mediterranean and not usually seen until July but with the pre-ponderance of easterly and south- easterly winds over the past few weeks several have been seen locally recently. I have even encountered some at the Gunton old rail track and the Sparrow's Nest park in the last few weeks.
I have been particularly keen to add them to my digital portfolio of shots having drawn a blank with them photographically over the last couple of years. So I was delighted to see 2 in the garden this afternoon and evening. Initially they were very wary and kept flying off when I tried to get closer shots. But as often happens, they get used to your presence and were eventually quite confiding and I finally got my digital shots!

No comments: