Saturday, 8 August 2026

Finally the Black Stork seen at Horsey!

On Saturday 8th August, I was determined to see the Black Stork, having apppeared at Horsey early on it flew towards Martham so I checked martham Ferry (no luck) then Burgh castle where it was seen circling high. No luck there either, around c40 Curlew and c50 Avocet seen here. It was hot, so I went home had an ice cream and no sooner had I done so, then the Stork was seen at Horsey again at 1.26pm, so back I drove. At around 2pm I drove along the Horsey strait, good to see Chris S. again and we exchanged phone numbers as I drove further north, next stop along a load of people were looking in a grassy field suspecting they had Clouded Yellow, I was proved correct when a Clouded yellow was pointed out perched on a flower! Still no sign of the Stork but as we looked a ring tail Harrier with a white rump flew past, not enough to see which species but I suspected Hen. I rang Chris S at 2.21pm and he said the DStork had just been seen getting up from the Nelson Head track and flying north. I drove up to Waxham sands Holiday camp and from the car I could see the fantastic immature Black Stork gliding north over the camp, I parked by the Camp's entrance and immediately rang Chris to inform him. I had to move as a car was exiting, I had temporarirly lost the stork and drove up to Brograve Farm and looked back and saw it soaring over the road going eastwards towards Horsey Corner, it disappeared behind tall Leylandii, so I drove back to an area between walnut Farm and Waxham sands and parked up where 2 other cars had parked and we were very fortunately to see the Black Stork circle directly over us, it then appeared to settle in some trees just north of Waxham sands camp before it got again and soared over towards Horsey Corner again. I had probably been watching the Stork for around 30 minutes and I drove back and saw a group of birders parked up by Horsey gap, including Chris S. who was very grateful for the tip off, great to be able oblige when you re-find such a great bird and a Norfolk tick for me to boot! TBC

No comments: