Thursday, 16 July 2026

White- letter Hairstreaks at Gunton Cliff

On the weekend of 27 June I located the area for the White- letter hairstreaks along Gunton Cliff roughly opposite where Briar Cliff used to be, I located Elms but the weather was against me, cloudy and windy. On 28th June, I tried again it was sunnier and looking at the Elms just north of the clear fell The 3rd one at the back I saw a small buttefly fly up and settle it was a fine White- letter hairstreak. A trip to Ness Point revealed a singing male Black redstart(heard only), an immature Black Redstart and an alrm calling adult female Black Redstart, I departed immediately to allow them some peace. Back at Gunton Cliff, I saw Paul & Jane and later robert Wil and we saw up 6 fine White- letter Hairstreaks often flying up from the Elms high in the sky and where they descended they appeared to disappear into thin air but we did locate indivdula perched on leaves at the edge of the tree canopy on several occasions.

No comments: