Sunday 3 April 2022

Carlton fit: an ultimately exhausting session

On Sunday 3rd April, early afternoon, I walked up to Peto's, no sign of the Garganey on the old scrape but I did see the Glossy Ibis again on the grass close in between Turnpike Marsh and the SW corner of Peto's plus a White wagtail seen again. From North hide, I saw first a female Garganey and the male Garganey swam out although the light was poor I tried to get a few shots of both birds. seeing Stuart R we watched the birds for a while, occasionally the sun would break through the clouds but that didn't seem to help very much. Walking back at Turnpike Marsh I saw another male Garganey mid distance on the pool and a distant Little- ringed Plover seen in front of metal gate. I walked over to the Old scrape, Share Marsh side and failed to see anything here. Utterly exhausted, I drove home and I was about eat my evening meal when a tweet from Andrew having found a PGP and sans camera (just couldn't lu>g it around again!) I went back to Carlton Marshes, Carl arrived after me but was already ahead of me but almost kept pace with him & I arrived only 2 minutes behind Carl and Andrew kindly let me see the magnificent Pacific Golden Plover in amongst a small flock of around 15 Golden Plover. The PGP was more slender bird (compared with the Golden Plovers) and about 2/3 the size of the Goldies with a golden spangled back a few black blotches on the breast with proportionately longer legs with noticable leg length above the knee. It showed a dense spangled cap a golden white flared supercilia and when it flew, it showed significantly grey under arm auxillaries. In flight the legs seen to trail behind the tail. The bird started to come nearer and nearer and I was regretting not taking the camera (but it would have been just too much having lugged the camera around the whole reserve just an hour earlier). Andrew spotted a fine adult Caspian Gull at the back and Carl spotted the male Garganey in the pool at the back too.

No comments: