Sunday 6 March 2022

Good samaritan but generally a poor day

On Sunday 6th March, after another poor day on Saturday I was finally out early for a trip to Covehithe Broad revealed a chill north- east wind and 3 Goldeneye, (2 males and 1 female), a male was initially by the reedy clump half way back but sadly had swam over to the back so again no shots. A chap hanging around as I was walking back had a picked up a segull- an adult moulting into summer plumage Black- headed Gull which looked exhausted (it wasn't oiled or broken/ sprained wings) but it had to be picked up otherwise dogs would have devoured it. No room at Runham Rescue but a Rescue at Norwich were taking it in. Then onto Lymballs Lane, Westleton, so again no photos there, the 8 Bewick's Swans and 5 Whooper Swans were way at the back of the field. Visiting walberswick car park so sign of the Glossy Ibis I walked far out west on the river path and eventually spotted the Glossy Ibis in the field right next to the car park distantly but by the time I got back it had disappeared, a Little Egret huddled close to a clump of reeds at least meant I could get the camera out. Another drive around Henstead & north Cove revealed no Fieldfares but 2 fine Mistle Thrushes searhing for food in a field close by the side of the road (but directly into the sun) Then back to Carlton Marshes, I saw Andrew E and Chris M who said the Garganey was hard to see, I didn't see it despite scanning all over for around 45 minutes- I always find these Duck incredibly hard to see, a bit like a Duck version of Hawfinches at Sotterley (although it was seen an hour earlier and then again half an hour after I left) there were lots of islands by North Hide and I scanned all of them and the water and couldn't see it. I kept scanning for 45 minutes but still no joy, 5 male Pochards and 4 female Pochards seen though and walking back 7 male Pintails upending and 2 females with them. Walking back I met Rob H, I had to get back for food and a drink and I knew I'sd regret it birdwise, he spotted a Ruff amongst the Lapwing and several 3 Sinensis Cormorant amongst the Cormorants. Somewhat inevitably as I arrived home I had a text from Rob H stating simply "Garganey showing well!" dooh!

No comments: