Sunday 13 December 2020

Seasonal successful wild goose quest

On Saturday 12th December, I was keen to have a look for the Tundra Bean Geese just seen in fields off the road to Wenhaston. The problem was there are 5 different roads to Wenhaston off the A12, after 90 minutes of searching I finally narrowed it down to 1 of 2 roads (based on the grid reference provided) and finally taking the road, signed to Wenhaston 2 miles and Wormells Nursery, the first road west after travelling south through Blythburgh, after a mile a large field to the south of the road, I stopped and spotted 19 fine Tundra Bean Geese feeding in the muddier brown section of the field (the south east corner). Typically, smaller than Taiga's, as I explained to a birder who arrived and asked the exact same question of "what is the difference?" between them and Taiga's. I explained it's a bit like the difference between Bewick's & Whoopers. With the Tundras size wise like Bewick's smaller, shorter necked and less long wedge shaped bills. Both having orange legs and black and orange bills. He also hadn't brought his telescope which I found surprising and Geese are nearly always distant when viewed and this flock was no exception. Next stop, Benacre and after thoughly wiping down the telescope, eye piece and tripod with an anti- bacterial cloth and wiping down with anti- bacterial gel for extra safety. I drove around the village of Benacre taking the road leading south from the entrance to Benacre Beach farm and just west of there in a field I was delighted to find a flock of 78 European White- fronted Geese, I counted thenm 3X they were busy feeding right at the back of the field and I stayed in the car to make sure I didn't disturb them. They were several thick dark belly striped males within the flock and they were constantly feeding. I got back home about 1.30pm too, too late to travel to Winterton.

No comments: