Tuesday 29 December 2020

Hooded Merganser and record tally of Goosanders

On Tuesday 29th December, a very grey and murky day but very enjoyable and rewarding day I took my exercise walk in a lovely part of the world (but still within our local council area), firstly driving past Blythburgh I saw the Bean Geese from the road, the usual group of 25. I headed for Butley and just NW of there was Wantisden corner (and Staverton Park area) and parking down a road just left of there, I parked by a a group of 4 cars parked (surely birders cars?), I phoned Craig the finder and got great directions from him. A group of 8 Crossbills chipping at they flew over my head and towards a group of Pines where I lost them. another birder walking back also gave me great directions and I bumped into gerald J who also gave me directions (always very handy for a new place visited plus told me to look out for the field full of Fieldfares) walking down the road through the flooded part and then opposite Wantisden Corner farm, I took the track left down to a red parked tractor and then walked over top a concrete building and then left again down to an area looking over an area of reed fringed water bordered by trees, where 3 birders were looking including Dick. The bird had just gone out of view, but in a pattern which was repeated 5X, it, the fantastic female Hooded Merganser swam out from a treed island, bigger than Smew but smaller than a RBM, obscuring the left hand of the mere. Its tufted fanned head and thin bill immediately noticeable. It then swam out to the middle of the lake and was very successful in catching fish, it caught at least 10 fish during the hour or so I was there. We were then joined by Paul & Jane walking down the track towards us from the other direction, a very convivial 45 minutes or so as we all watched the fine Hooded Merganser swimming out fishing then swimming left again (at its closest point, always the best place for photography against the dark water) befoire it disappeared for some 10 minutes before swimming right again and repeating the whole process. It flapped its wings 3X and was also very wary when a female Marsh Harrier flew over. A group of around 40 calling Siskins flew left over the Mere, a fine Great White Egret was at the back and flew up and flew back again. After around hour and a half the cold was getting to my feet so we all decided to walk back by the turnip field, the Fieldfares were back, an incredible flock of exactly 90 Fieldfares counted, plus a Mistle Thrush perched on a mole hill and 2 Redwings counted amongst their number, all these Thrushes gave off a wonderful winter vista, sadly all too rarely seen these days. The Thrushes were at the back of the field and in poor light so not suitable for photography but a wonderful winter vision to take in and marvel at. We also heard a Water Rail squealing. Bidding farewell to Dick and the Fergusons I decided to call in at Minsmere, driving in at 2.40pm I didn't expect to follow 4 cars driving in! All were non birders but I headed for the public hide and looking over to the East Scrape, I counted an incredible tally of 20 Goosanders, with 7 respendent males and 13 more subtle but still elegant & beautiful female Goosanders. My highest ever tally of this species in East Anglia, an incredible total. Walking back, I decided to check the pools just NW of the North Hide from the mound and was surprised and dismayed to see a totally selfish togger with a 400mm lens creeping to the edge of the scrape presumably to photograph some birds. I went back to the centre and spoke to staff including Ian B. who were going to take immediate action. UPDATE" Chris went over and spoke to the guy who claimed he wanted to photograph a Kingfisher! (My advice wait til island Mere or Bittern hides are open again or go to Lackford Pits SWT or Oultton Broad and don't disturb the birds on the Scrape at Minsmere or anywhere else for that matter!

No comments: