Monday 29 April 2019

Early Spring Goodies: a trio of Savi's Warbler, Turtle Dove & Male Red- footed Falcon

On Sunday 28th April and an early start meant I arrived at Minsmere at 7.50am, I saw Maurice B and entered the hide. It wasn't long before I could hear the buzzing of an excellent Savi's Warbler. It was coming from the other side of the Mere, after 30 minutes I still hadn't seen it. But suddenly someone spotted it and they kindly let me have a look, the excellent Savi's Warbler was in one of the middle bushes at the back. It was perched on the left hand side near the top, it could be seen buzzing away moving its head from side to side. Typically drab with a brownish wash over the upper breast. Someone also kindly put my scope onto it and it promptly flew down and out of sight. Around 20 minutes later it was buzzing again and I spotted it as I saw it perched on the left hand side bush perched in the middle near the top, it showed well here if distantly for a couple of minutes before flying left again. Some distant birds in the sky included 1 Swift, a nice early one for me (I rarely see them before May). Also several 3 Marsh Harriers seen flying around, mostly males. I then left to look at a nearby site, where it was sadly too chilly to look for Adders, but Immediately heard a Turtle Dove "purring" from a Silver Birch thicket just over to the left. By the quarry, a Willow Warbler flew into a small tree and showed well. Even better, a Turtle Dove flew past and right, my first Suffolk sighting for 4 years. Also I heard 2 Nightingales singing away too. A call from maurice B who said the RF Falcon was the Butley end of Woodbridge airfield and showing well, accessed via Forestry Commission camp site parking. I had a little trouble finding Butley and went through one of the villages 3X ( I didn't have Sat Nav or the OS Map for the whole area. But once I found Butley, Maurice's excellent direction came in handy as I saw the brown sign and turned left down a long wooded road, past a load of campers and their call until on the right hand side it opened out with a tall fence on the right hand side of the road and lots of birders cars. I parked up walked up and initially it wasn't apparent where the bird was until, I bumped into Carl B and his wife and they said the bird was on the ground and moving to the left of Carl I could see this excellent bird a fine adult male Red- footed Falcon perched on the ground. Abruptly, a fine Hobby flew past from left to right giving good views as it flew close by. with a smokey grey plumage, eye ring red bill and legs. It then flew up to a post. Eventually we were given access to a kind resident's garden and we got closer views of the bird.

No comments: