Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Poor views of the Vireo

On Wednesday 30th September, I travelled to Minsmere North bushes for the REV that had been spotted there the previous afternoon. It had been seen at 9.37am, I arrived there and in the middle of the bushes, I was joined by Carl B, Paul & Jane F. and at 1.35pm a mad scramble and a shout saying there it is and I spotted a bulky passerine, with olive green above and silky white underparts of the Red- eyed Vireo fly into a bush, the light was poor and I saw the shape of the Vireo but it was partially obscured and then it hopped out of view. Other people the other side had a much better view. Later on when we were joined by John H. and Mick we walked along the path to the beach and the bushes just east of the North bushes, Mick spotted it in a small Oak and we saw the shape of the bird very briefly before it flew low and left never to be seen again. Walking back I heard the brief 'tsuip' of a Yellow- browed Warbler and on the path to the North hide, I also heard a Marsh Tit, neither of these birds were seen though. I stayed until 4.30pm in the hope I would obtain better views but it was not be, I must have used up all my Vireo luck almost 35 years ago.

No comments: