Sunday 21 April 2024

Carlton Purple Patch

On Sunday 21st April, after a rest following 10 miles of walking yesterday, I decided to do a mere 3 miles today by walking down to Carlton Marshes, Peto's Marsh, first stop, Turnpike marsh where the first one from the main track I saw the Green- winged Teal at the back. Swimming left by some tussocks. Meanwhile by the closest water's edge, there were 4 summer plumaged Black- tailed Godwits and with them was a fine Spotted Redshank in grey plumage going into summer plumage. Try as I might, I could not see either a Green Sand (earlier not on Cormorant island or Wood Sand) At Turnpike hide, I saw an Egyptian Goose on its nest. Plus 2 Swallows and 3 Sand Martins flying over the Scrape. By North hide, I saw 3 Pochard (2 males and a female) swimming on the water. Up to 4 Marsh Harriers, 3 males and a cream headed female quartered the reeds at the back and it was pleasing to see areas had been cut for Bitterns. As I walked back, I saw the Spotted Redshank and the 4 Black- tailed Godwits but they soon flew north-east I stopped by Turnpike hide and saw Rob H and Rhiannon stroll up, I hadn't relocated any of the birds. But as I scanned I refound the GW Teal again and looing over to Turnpike Scrape, I saw the group of waders, the 4 Black- tailed Godwits and the Spotted Redshank and pointed out to Rob & Rhianna. Rob picked out the fine pair of Garganey (male and female) just in front of them (male and female) and as I scanned further I finally saw the fine Wood Sandpiper feeding in Mare's Tail at the back.

No comments: