Saturday 9 September 2023

Ness Point, North Beach & Netposts goodies

On Saturday 9th September, I drove to ness point and walked up to the platform and immediately saw an immature Razorbill around 150 metres out on the sea, it appeared to be swimming south, later I saw a Guillemot about 100 metres out but that swam strongly north. I walked down to the Wind Turbine yard and saw a male Sparrowhawk perched on the seawall opposite the yard, I retrived my camera but after that the bird was gone so I walked over to the SLp yard and saw a Peregrine flying away south, unsurprisingly no sign of any Black Reds. Roger drewup and then we resaw the Razorbill this time a lot closer in but it soon disappeared too. Checking the Netposts from the ridge, I saw 2 Whinchat a rusty one and a pale bird. I did a good scan but couldn't see anything else. I then drove to Swimming pool road, parked up and saw the Razorbill again swimming north along the sea a groyne's length out. At 2.30pm news broke that Rob H had found an RB Shrike at the Netposts, so I drove down and the bird, a fine immature Red- backed Shrike, was seen perched in the thistle amongst the ragwort and then it flew over to the fence line near the seawall. TBC

No comments: