Monday 29 November 2021

Shock horror! A successful seabird twitch from Ness Point

On Sunday 28th November, after a terrible Saturday, amazingly I successfully twitched a fine Little Auk , which Andrew E had found & when I arrived by the funnel, the bird was drifting north out to sea from the Point (thanks to Rob H for relocating a tricky bird to pick up and letting me see it through his 'scope) it was about half way out, but difficult to see with the costant swell of the sea. Several Eiders flew north, including 4 Eiders (1 imm male and 3 females) and then 3 Eiders(3 females) and a single female Eider flew north. A flock 8 Knot flew north. Later 2 Velvet Scoters flew North. Plus many Red- throated Divers going north c30 and same number of Gannets too. You won't be surprised to learn this was my best seawatch of the year. I also spotted a close Grey Seal swimming southwards. I looked to the north of the Point, along the beach and part of Gunton Warren beach but little else was seen.

No comments: