Wednesday 21 April 2021

Single Arctic Tern still at Peto's Marsh

On Wednesday afternoon of the 21st April, a sunny afternoon but with a biting cold NE wind had me walking down to Peto's Marsh at Carlton Marshes, a male Marsh Harrier was seen flying east over Whitecast marshes. I also heard a Sedge Warbler singing and 2 Chiff- Chaffs by the Barn Owl bushes. OFB was behind me and catching me up as my left had been strapped and special padded footware put in my left boot to enable to undertake this walk leaving the camera & bag behind so sans large camera lens. Much kinder on both my lower back and foot which have been complaining loudly recently! Walking around past the first hide, around 30 Black- tailed Godwits (approaching summer plumage) feeding in the water. Walking onto and past the North hide we joined Maurice B and he only one (the former magnificent seven now reduced to just one!) of the Arctic Terns was still present and it was flying around at the back, a very white bird with black trailing edge to the wings and white translucent wings and very long tail streamers and a very bouncy "marsh tern- like" flight. At one stage a BH Gull chased it and it crazily spiralled up and down attempting to escape the Gull. A little later it was just left of a closer sandy spit, standing in the water showing a blood red bill, tiny shot legs and long white tail streamers. I also spotted first a pair of Pochard, the male respelendant and then another pair nearby, totalling 4 Pochards in all (2 males and 2 females). When we walked back, amongst the grassy area beyond the first hide, I spotted a fine male Yellow Wagtail which both Maurice and OFB observed too. On the grassy area dyke just before the original scrape as we walking back we saw the almost now obligatory Great White Egret still sporting a yellow bill and first Sedge Warbler and then a distant Willow Warbler heard too. By now my foot was hurting, hardly surprising after a 3 mile walk!

No comments: