Saturday 2 January 2021

EYW saves the day after another Sotterley hoodoo

On Saturday 2nd January, after visiting Wrentham old cemetary seeing a few Redwing and the hedgerows behind Wrentham still held a Redwing and Fieldfare I decided to call in at Sotterley, Carl, Paul & Jane F and Neville L had all just seen at least 1 of 3 of the Hawfinches 2 minutes ago with one showing brilliantly. I also missed Crossbills & a Bullfinch too. I of course didn't see any despite spending 2 hours there, a vocal Nuthatch, 2 Treecreeper, a Goldcrest in the Dell and Coal Tit by the feeders and 2 Buzzard over the northern wood were the best I could manage, yet another dip at my hoodoo place. From 2pm, I walked out to carlton Marshes sans camera and saw Robert H & Paul & Sara. We walked out and at 3.05pm, with only 2 Pied Wagtails present Rob picked up the excellent Eastern Yellow Wagtail at the back. It was rather inconspicuous routing around the grass fringes at the back and I was grayeful the super sharp Rob was there to pick it out. Also, now virtually ever present was a fishing Great White Egret. We walked around to the hides passing Phil D, who hadn't seen the wagtail but rather fortuitously, I saw it fly in much closer to the 38 strong flock of Pied Wagtails and it showed really well here. We checked the Ducks at the back and apart from Wigeon, 2 Tufted Duck, Shovelor & Teal we could't pick out anything more unusual. A male Marsh harrier also quartered the scrape and up to 2 Barn Owls were hunting at the back.

No comments: