Sunday 12 January 2020

Kessingland & Halvergate Marshes

On Sunday 12th January, a look at Kessingland North Beach failed to reveal the hoped for Shore Lark, where I was hoping to get some pictures of said bird. There had been a dog walker around there just before I arrived so it may have been flushed. However by the south side of the Saline Pool, 3 Sanderling plus a Ringed Plover flew in and a 4th Sanderling joined them but were flushed off by a dog walker. Walking back to the Heathlands steps, 2 Sanderling flew past me back towards the Saline Pool. At the Pool near the steps were a further 2 Sanderling feeding by the edge of the Pool and I managed to get some pics of these confiding birds. Next stop was Halvergate Marshes by the bend, again no initial sign of the Cattle Egret although a Little Egret was seen in the field north of the road. A large grey male Sparrowhawk flew low over the ground and west. Walking back to the car looking back towards the barn, amazingly I could see the Cattle Egret walking close to the barn, I was going to park up there staying in the car and using as a hide for pictures. But before I even got back into the car, the Cattle Egret flew out and into a field near the wood, where it promptly disappeared. It started raining and driving back along the Acle strait, a female Sparrowhawk flew very low over the road flying south.

No comments: