Sunday 3 February 2019

Polar opposites

On Saturday 2nd February, a Buzzard seen perched on a pole by the side of the road as I drove from Blundeston to Lound at 11.20am. On Sunday 3rd February, arriving at Lake Lothing looking from the railway bridge, initially I couldn't see a lot so I made my way down to the concrete jetty, joining Paul & Jane. Jane pointed out the Razorbill, rapidly swimming away and every time I picked it up it dived, all I saw was a black and white Auk, so couldn't count it (no doubt about the ID, but I have to be able ID it myself). Further away was a chocolate brown upper parts coloured Guillemot, back in the northern corner so making our way back, that also started to swim strongly south. Oystercatcher & Redshank and about 10 Little Grebes also seen. Visiting Carlton Marshes I met Andrew E who said the EWFG weren't on the Scrape so another dip. A Chinese Water Deer near the visitors centre (field by the scrape by the centre) showed well and I spent some time photographing it. A bevy of barking dogs (I estimated at least 6 really frightened the Deer that collapsed onto the ground, rolling on its back and crouching very low. (see accompanying pictures below). Shopping at Asda during the late afternoon, a Guillemot was seen looking east spending most of its time in the shadow of the CEFAS Endeavour. Looking west, at last, I finally saw the Razorbill, the blunt tipped bill a giveaway. Seen on 3 separate occasions but constantly diving. Also by the same boat, the second Guillemot seen briefly too. Finally a fine Harbour Seal was seen surfacing several times and swimming right. All the were spooked by a boat going through.

No comments: