Tuesday 27 June 2017

Winterton delights

On Saturday 10th June, a visit to Winterton resulted in me seeing the an Emperor dragonfly flying over the Dunes. Muy main quest was easily seen literally sticking out like a sore thumb, a fine summer- plumaged White- winged Black Tern sat amongst the Little Tern colony. Several times it flew out to sea and flew back again. Meanwhile I watched Little terns fishing close in shore and saw 2 sat on the back. Really good to see Dave J, ex NLIS colleague. An excursion over to the Toad pools revealed Dave discovering a Smooth Newt by the side of the pool and I saw it clamber into weedy vegetation. Dave directed me over to the square fenced pool slightly NW of there inland and was delighted to see 2 Red- veined Darters, one resting on the sandy sides and 1 perching on the reeds. I also saw lots of Natterjack tadpoles too. As I was photographing the RV Darter on the reeds using my 500mm lens, a male Roe Deer literally walked past me barely 30 feet away, initially it was against the sun, but I froze and as walked up to a bramble bush, I waited till it walked behind this and I stealthily crept up to the bush where it was again 30 feet away in really good light and managed to get some nice shots before it slowly walked off southwards. Walking back 2 Yellowhammers seen also plus a Hairy Dragonfly.

No comments: