Saturday 18 March 2017

Waveney Forest surprise birds but no reptiles

On Tuesday March 15th, I spied the 8 inch circular diameter of frogspawn in the fishpond first thing. having a look around for butterflies and some early reptiles, so no 500mm lens with me. I was only able to see a Comma butterfly that was by the 2nd A site, the far western end around half way along by the path right hand side as you walk north. As I was walking back just before the old car park by a line of tall pines aligned direct due west in the middle trees 9where the old log pile used to be) I heard a pine cone drop and suspecting Crossbills, I looked up and was surprised to see a large Mealy Redpoll, feeding on a pine cone! A large almost crossbill- sized bird, looking fairly white as I looked at it back on but with a streaked white rump and a couple of white tramlines down its back and reddish front cap patch and forked tail. Another bird flew out and perched on a bare conifer branch half way up the tree, a fine female Brambling she stayed on her perch for a good ten minutes.

No comments: