Monday 27 February 2017

Lowestoft & Gorleston goodies

On Sunday 26th February, I had perked up as I thought I was going down with the flu on Fri/ Sat, first visit was for the totally unexpected House Martin seen flying around the Kirkley House at dusk. A very early start was in order and I got there just after first light at 7.15am. The Kirkley House is the first red brick building 100 yards south of Claremont Pier from the main cliff top path on the lanyard side. walking up to it and standing in the car park next to it, I was amazed to find not 1, but 2 (TWO) House Martins, absolutely fantastic, it also meant I'd found one (also fantastic!) They were flying around very close to the top/ roof of the building initially. I checked both to make certain they were House Martins and not something rarer. The black above, white below and white rumps and forked tails confirmed my initial ID. Only problem was they were impossible to photo with my big lens and I couldn't tweet news out. The only thing for it was go home grab my 400mm lens and tweet it out on the computer at home. So 7.45am, I did just that returning with my 400mm lens the birds were still there flying a wider arc this time and I was quickly joined by Andrew E and Paul & Jane F. We did obtain "Ferguson" views of the birds especially as one flew right over our heads! Still just as difficult to photograph, Andrew as always got the best shots, I struggled on this front. Next stop was the junction of Stradbroke and Lansdowne road, Wakefield, initially no luck so did a tour of Kilburn/ Cranesbill road nearby usually a happy hunting ground for me. Still no luck I was about to give up when a tweet came through saying they had been seen at the junction. I phoned Jane she stay there. Within 10 minutes 17 Waxwings flew in to the bushes by the side of the road. They quickly flew back north west and we counted more on a large bare tree. Later even more flew to the trees/ bushes and I definitely counted 40 Waxwings. It was great to see them fly to the bushes and fed voraciously. I then went to and the pair of Peregrines were flying around giving good views, nice to see them sparring in midair. At Ness Point, initially no sign of the Purple Sands, but the Viking Gull was seen briefly perched on the groyne north of there. I didn't have the camera equipment but running back with the gear it had disappeared. I saw Steve P and friend. We both saw 2 Rock Pipits one healthy one.

No comments: