Sunday 10 July 2016

Caspian Tern in the wet at Breydon

On Friday 24th June, early morning lovely to hear a loud singing Song Thrush either in the garden or just outside it. I was tired after a long day at work and looked at twitter and saw there was a Caspian Tern on Breydon! Half an hour later I was getting out of the car at the Herbert Barnes south side of Breydon. I got totally drenched as the heavens opened. Within 10 minutes the rain had stopped and I got out of the car. No one about, so I scanned after 2 minutes I picked up the obvious Black- headed Gull sized fine Caspian Tern on Breydon over the far side but obvious with a big red bill. Later I was joined by Norfolk photographer Rob Wils and his wife, plus good to see Jeremy G. The bird spent most of its time standing there. It moved around from being side on to back on. Then suddenly it flew south and was flying over Bugh castle and appeared to be flying towards the coast at Gorleston, it was definitely seen over Watsonian Suffolk and Lizardland, result!!! Is this a Lizard tick for me, I think it is! Scanning for 20 minutes after we found it back in the same place on the mud! Somehow it had flown back without us picking it up! Early morning Saturday the Song Thrush was still singing from the garden. Jenny saw a Hummingbird Hawk Moth mid afternoon in the heat of sun feeding on the Red Valerian in the back garden just beyond the Kitchen window. On Tues 28th June, again after work i saw it on the mud the far side not far from the Lumps viewing from Asda this time.

No comments: