Saturday 13 February 2016

Cattle Egret at East End farm, Burgh St.Peter

After hearing the bird was still there, I made my way to Burgh St. Peter, armed with my trusty "Norwich & the Broads" OS map (essential for finding these out of the way places!) I followed the signs for Burgh St. Peter, then went down Mill road and parked by Aldeby tip. Walking down East Lane, I heard and then saw a Fieldfare flying past. Leading to East End farm where I met Roger C coming away he said take the track through the farm buildings open the gate and then first field on the left with cattle is where the bird, a fine Cattle Egret was. It had flown to the far end of the field but the cattle worked their way right along the back edge. By the shed a male Stonechat was seen briefly. Also a Barn Owl was seen hunting over a distant field to the east. Not that far from Castle Marshes but obviously Norfolk side of the River Waveney. The cattle walked along the edge close to obscured by a breeze block built shed and the Egret was following them! The gate I was waiting behind, was just by the shed and as the cattle walked out the Cattle Egret followed them and was really close Ferguson views! Unfortunately, a couple walking their dog walked past a minute or so later, (nice couple but unfortunate timing to be walking past with your dog) so I only managed to get 7 or 8 close shots of the Egret. It flew to the back of the field again. When the dog came closer the Egret actually flew out of the field over the track and into the field west of there. Finally, the bird flew back into the field twenty minutes later time for me to leave. It was good to see Roy R walking down the track and I know he had good views of the bird too, having seen his tweet and excellent picture later. Checking Hamilton Dock and a stormy Ness Point nothing doing, but at 4.25pm a Peregrine was sitting on the south- west corner of the roof of the grain silo, my first of the year.

No comments: