Saturday 26 December 2015

Christmas Day birding

On friday, Christmas Day, just out of the front door and 2 calling Redwings flew south over the garden. First stop at 8am was Lake Lothing, I walked to the posts and saw a Kingfisher hovering and perched on the fence. Around 6 Little Grebes seen. from the brick bridge, a Guillemot seen and the Great Northern Diver swimming around the orange buoy. It then swam closer to the west side of Lake Lothing as it was now at mid distance not quite "Ferguson close" but the closest I have seen it to date. At Covehithe, by the bushes a Chiff- Chaff was seen. By the distant ridge I counted 82 Barnacles but many were out of sight. On Covehithe Broad, there were 7 Goldeneye, a male and 6 females and the Slavonian Grebe appeared near the back of the broad then swam left. A group of people with binoculars appeared and I was asked "Had I seen the Slavic Grebe!?" Finally, a Grey Seal stuck its head out of the sea and looked at me. No luck with the Peregrine at the Grain silo but 2 Purple Sandpipers seen at Ness Point.

No comments: