Friday 31 July 2015

Devil's Dyke butterflies at Newmarket

Tuesday 21 July Newmarket after a work meeting I decided to walk down Devil's Dyke opposite the July race course. It was a long trek being around 2 1/2 miles. There were lots of Blue butterflies, particularly at the start of the walk, a lot of them were Chalkhill Blue butterflies, scrambling down the bank I managed to obtain some shots of one perched on a plant stem but the best shots were of one perched on the path, which even opened up its wings. Near the start I also saw 3 Pyramidal Orchids well past their best. I counted around 100 Lizard >Orchids again well past their best in the usual spot 3/4 of the way down past the break in the dyke. A little further along by the bank, just past the Lizard Orchids, I spotted up to 2 Marbled White butterflies flying in more grassy banks typically alighting on Thistle flowers. They were very flighty and didn't allow any kind of approach until I discovered if I kept my head down underneath the grass line I could crawl down to them and I eventually managed some reasonable shots.

No comments: