Friday 26 December 2014

Christmas at Cymisfael stream

My Christmas Day morning started early, with a Tawny Owl's "kewick" call heard at 2pm! The day proper started on a high with a fine female Bullfinch in the tree in Mum's front garden albeit on the far side. Down at the bottom of the hill, by the partially cleared scrub area, 2 calling Goldcrests were seen. By the slight widening in the road, a Coal Tit was feeding on the floor. Further along the stream in the bushes opposite, calling Bullfinchs, revealed another female Bullfinch, but I couldn't see the male. Further along still another female Bullfinch, my third of the morning was seen in a tree. Around 4 Grey Squirrels were seen foraging in the woods. More than I normally see and an ominous sign for the wooldand bird breeders sadly. By the first bridge, a distant Redwing was perched on top a high tree and I saw a Tit feeding the far side of a bush, partially obscured, I spent some 20 minutes checking it out, it was a fine Willow Tit, with bull necked appearance white face matt black cap and more extensive black bib. It spent a lot of time feeding and was joined by a second Willow Tit that flew in from the right, calling the familiar nasal "tsaaah tsaah tsaah" a classic individual with small squat appearance whitish face and prominent white wing panel on the wings.Absolutely super to see these birds my first for 2014, sadly very much in decline in England bush holding there own in this particular part of Wales! Having to walk back, as I was on a time deadline, I was delayed by watching a super Grey Wagtail on the stream which flew up and flew slightly further along. Later on at Mum's house A Treecreeper heared calling and seen briefly in a tree. A Buzzard flew over the road near llannon and at 11.40pm, 2 hooting Tawny Owls were heard from the copse of trees one side of Mum's house and the wood on the other side. A very Merry Christmas to all my blog readers.

No comments: