Saturday 30 August 2014

Elusive Critters!

A before work visit to Corton OSW on Friday 29th August failed to reveal any birds hardly surprising when I only had 10 minutes! Another visit at lunchtime was more successful and dead on 12 noon, I could see bird as soon as I got there, the excellent juvenile Red- backed Shrike perched on the north - eastern end of the wires. It perched here for all of 1 minute, before it disappeared and I could not refine it despite much searching. A Whinchat flew from the compound and disappeared in the middle of the beet field again never to be seen again. An evening trip to Southwold old Sewage works was disappointing, a great spot but in a 2 and a half hour vigil, no sign of the Greenish, a really elusive bird and not seen since 5.20pm apparently, (I arrived soon after) whatsoever by me, although a bird that flew across the path and into a tree late on, looked interesting but we couldn't relocate it. Best bird seen was a Swift that flew past us and west and several 5 Chiff- Chaffs. A fine Southern Hawker patrolled the pathway and flew around me curiously, also flying around were 20 Migrant Hawkers continuing their recent influx.

No comments: