Friday 4 October 2013

Trio of Firecrests in the Cemetery

After a wet night and a loud thunderstorm in the early hours we were all expecting a good fall of migrants. So I was up before dawn and well before work this morning, Friday 4th October, and looked around Corton Old Rail Track with Song Thrush and heard Chiff- Chaff the only birds noted. Down one of the rides a mist net was seen and Derek & Colin were around with bags full of an unseen Song Thrush & Blackcap. At the Corton Old Sewage works, I immediately heard a very vociferous Yellow- browed warbler, fantastic, but then it started singing unusual in the autumn, to say the least! I turned around and behind me I saw Derek & Colin walking up the track with their bags and the penny belatedly (it was an early start) dropped, it was their bl**dy tape playing!! Later on, I saw Craig, he hadn't seen much, so I decided to check the bushes to the west of Broadland Sands Holiday camp where the OBP had been seen last autumn and I saw an excellent early Fieldfare perched within the bush, it saw me and hopped further in. By Church Farm entrance I heard some 'Crests briefly, worthy of further investigation, but that was it. At work we had the door open and being based in the Burrage centre, I heard the sharp "Tzchikk" call of a Grey Wagtail flying west over the buidling and inland. At lunchtime, at 1.30pm, I walked into the south side of Great Yarmouth Cemetery and it was great to see Tommy C and we walked just east of the main path in the usual bushes and in one bush, I immediately saw 2 Firecrests in the same field of view. My belated first 2 of the autumn! They were calling regularly and were even started singing to each other. They were joined by a third Firecrest, as usual lovely birds with olive green mantle, fiery crests with white supercilia bordered by a black stripe. They were constantly on the move and giving good brief views within the bush.

No comments: