Friday 21 June 2013

Roller at Holt Country Park

On Friday 14th June travelling home after work just after 5pm after my last day of work, working for Norfolk Libraries, I spied a Hobby fly over the road by the farm just after the Hopton roundabout it flew west over the A12. On Monday 17th I parked at the car parking area on the east side of the road. I initially met Kevin B & his wife as they were crossing the road. Initially, the news was not good from Kevin as the sought after Roller had last been seen in the clearing at 6.10pm. Having met Peter C (former) work colleague and friend & Diane, viewing the clearing nothing could be seen and the Roller appeared long gone. Peter said he was going to check the area bordering Holt County Park and he promised to ring me if he heard any news. After a while a chap came over saying he thought he had seen it and we initially walked west towards the far end of the clearing. Then I suddenly saw people running in the opposite direction. Obviously the Roller had been sighted but it was in exactly the opposite direction in which I was going! Quickly changing direction, I started to half run (difficult with a 7 kilo weight on my back- my camera and 500mm lens) but I gradually managed to catch several people up, bumping into Paul & Jane F just driving back into the east car park and we continued to walk down a slope throgh a small copse of tree and up a gently ascending slope (the phone was now ringing, the ever dependable Peter C with news about the Roller) and I eventually reached the crowd and eventually spied the excellent Roller perched on a branch on a tree extending right of the trunk, around half way up. Peter C & Diane were watching the bird and I was joined by Rene B & Paul & Jane F. An absolutely stunning bird with cobalt blue plumage brown and black back, it was a real stunner. We watched for some 30 minutes before after an explosion of colour it flew right and then behind a tree and out of sight. meanwhile first one then another,2 Wood Larks seen singing their lovely "lululula" call.

No comments: