Tuesday 12 February 2013

Waxwings at the Library

As I was packing my bags in the car at 4.20pm this afternoon, having been at Great Yarmouth Library most the day, I heard a familiar thin high pitched trilling call and looking up, I saw some excellent Waxwings flying in from the west into the large Mountain Ash tree, just east of the Library car park. Incidently, this was the same tree where both Peter C and I found a Yellow- browed Warbler, one October several years ago! I eventually counted 7 Waxwings. I went back and retrieved my colleague Peter C and we both enjoyed views of this birds as they flew down to the large berry bush just east of the Library staff room and we had great late afternoon views of these birds. As we watched the Waxwings incredibly, 2 single Med Gulls flew over, my first ever at Great Yarmouth Library! First, an adult Mediterranean Gull flew west over the car park and then a 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull flew over flying west. The Waxwings were also enjoyed by 3 other members of staff also. I watched the birds for a few minutes and first 4 birds flew down gorging themselves on the plentiful berries before flying up to the top of the tree again. Finally, 1 Waxwing flew down feeding before again flying up again. Sadly, I had to leave these birds (had to go back to Gorleston Library) as they perched atop the tree. It will be worth keeping an eye on this area as there are plenty of berries on this bush and this small group of Waxwings may well hang around for a while? At this rate, Great Yarmouth Library will be on Norfolk's top birding/ wildlife hotspots with Vagrant Darter dragonfly, Ybw, Waxwings, Blackcap all seen in the last year or so!

No comments: