Thursday 9 August 2012

Trio of Migrant Hawkers

Having to work this evening, Thursday 9th August, I had the afternoon off and on a balmy hot afternoon, I spent much of the time in the garden, the sunny weather and in particular a very sunny spot by the Pergoda. The sunny conditions attracted a Hawker dragonfly flying around and eventually settling on the Rose by the Pergoda. It was a male Migrant Hawker, my first of the year. Seconds later, I saw a second male Migrant Hawker perched on a Honeysuckle. Both Hawkers were very obliging and posed well for the camera. A third male Migrant Hawker briefly settled close by on the Rose but soon flew off. Elsewhere in the garden, in the wildlife pond, a large Common Frog was seen on a Lily pad and minutes later it was replaced by a second smaller Common Frog. Butterflies were also in evidence, 2 Gatekeepers, a Meadow Brown, 2 Large Whites and 2 skittish and flightly Peacocks were seen too. My best butterfly tally in the garden of the year so far. Incidently, there has been no sign of the Hobby since Sunday, I couldn't look tonight as I was working until 9.30pm at Gorleston Library.

No comments: